Saturday, February 20, 2010

The MA(C)scara experiment: PRO Lash

I know I haven't been doing these as frequently as I would have liked!
I'm done with trying out all the mascaras and have notes written down for each and every one of them, but I just need to write the reviews, which is a bit time consuming, but I'll get to it as fast as I can!
I even have pictures taken for all the before and afters so at least that's not a problem :)

 

So, this third MAC mascara review is going to be on Pro Lash!
Before writing this review, I used the mascara every day for about a week. 
If you want to know more about what my MA(C)scara experiment is, take a look at my first post about it.

If you want to read about what I personally like in a mascara before reading the review, you can do so in this post.


The review
As I mentioned in my first post, the mascaras were given to all the MAC retail artists (in Denmark, at least) so that we could try them out and fill out a "mascara evaluation journal" which has some questions in it about each mascara. I won't be using the evaluation journal for the reviews though - I don't think it says enough about the product, and it's more geared towards how you would sell each mascara/who you would sell it to.
The mascaras were not given to me for the purpose of writing about it on my blog but I chose to do so to share my experience with you.

Overall
Natural. Average. Boring. Nothing special. That's about all I have to say here.
This mascara made me realize that even though I don't like spending a lot of time on my lashes, I do like my mascara to be somewhat buildable.
Why is this called PRO lash? I don't see much PRO about it :(

Mascara facts:
  • Pro Lash is only available in black (Coal Black)
  • The mascara contains 7.5 g g/0.25 US oz. of product
  • The price is US $13.00 or DKK 125 where I live.

The Brush
This kinda spiral-shaped mascara brush seems, as the mascara itself, pretty average to me. Nothing special about it.
This is, however, the only mascara brush that MAC uses in two different mascaras – the other one beeing Splashproof las.

Consistency
Average. Not thin in the sense that the mascara gets runny but not thick at all either. Just average but it works.

Ease of use
It is a very easy mascara to use if you want natural looking lashes and want to put very little effort into applying it.
BUT! If you like your mascara to be even the slightest amount of buildable, this is not the mascara for you.
I'm a bit puzzled here, since MAC describes the mascara as being "good to layer" and tells you to "apply one coat of Pro Lash for enhanced, defined lashes. For more drama, build up the layers". I'm sorry MAC, but it didn't work for me :(
It didn't clump on me at all when I applied the first coat, but when I tried to work with it and build it up, it woud start clumping while no additional lengthening or thickening would happen.
One good thing though: it's very fast since there would be no point in spending time applying additional coats. It simply doesn't work.

Oh, and another thing: I didn't find this mascara to curl my lashes at all, so a lash curler comes in really handy here ;)

Before and after
Before
(please keep in mind, that my lashes are naturally very light in color, so it's hard to see them, but they're there!)
After
Click on the pictures to see full size :)


The best about it
Doesn't clump or look spidery.
And it's actually really nice on the lower lashes since it doesn't smudge at all! :)

The worst about it
Not buildable at all to me.

Who would I recommend it for?
Someone who wants very natural looking lashes and who's even more lazy than me when it comes to mascara! ;)

Would I use it again?
Since I have it I'll probably keep using it when I just need a mascara to give my lashes color before applying false lashes. Or maybe even if I'm not really wearing makeup and only want mascara. But does that ever happen? Not really :P
Would I buy it again? Not likely. The mascara is not actually bad. I just have many others that I prefer ;)

More information
Pro Lash reviews on MakeupAlley
Pro Lash on maccosmetics.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails